Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Notes from the frontline - Blaft

It's been a little bit since I wrote about my long standing project creating an annotated bibliography of science fiction translated into English, the project is well over the half way point. It should be done before the end of the month. Currently, I'm working on wrapping things up with my two largest sections, Japaneses and French science fiction. When these are done, I'll just have a few holes to fill, notably Russian, and German, both of which have substantial work, just not a lot of it.

Lately, I have been browsing a very high quality collection of short stories translated from Tamil into English, The Blaft Anthology of Tamil Pulp Fiction. Jess Nevins, a librarian and knowledge producer, who I find worthy of esteem thinks highly of it. After getting a chance to peruse them myself, I have to say I agree with his assessment. If you're into pulp fiction, or science fiction, I would definitely by a copy, or two, or three. The book features extremely high quality annotations and illustration, and the first volume deals with modern authors rather then with pulp from the past, while the second volume also seems to have longer excerpts then the first one did and have a bit broader of a focus.

Blaft is an Indian publisher with an alternative bend who focuses mainly on translating stuff into English. They have a wonderful website, and I hope that they keep up the good work.

Keep it locked here for more updates, I'm a book away from finishing with the Japanese section the bib. I'll be posting something like that shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment